The mockup for the petal wrap sleeve on the Council Velvet is done after three attempts. I've cut out the rest of the pattern pieces for the undertunic, will fit them, then make alterations to make it knee length. Then on to the surcoat.
Got the frog closures yesterday and I'm going to mix up some of the charcoal grey dye I have and paint them to age them and tone down the silver a bit. Way too shiny and sparkly. Why does metallic silver never come across right on a monitor? They're a great size though! And I'm glad I've thought to use snaps to actually close the thing and the frogs as mostly decoration. I wouldn't trust them to hold all that great (holes too large, knots too small).
Also got some suede swatches from syfabrics for the boot wraps. Still not what I'm looking for. The color is right, but the upholstery stuff is way too stiff. I guess I could wash it and see what it does, but I really don't like the backing on it. I want something like what I bought for a gypsy corset last year, but in brown, not red. I've checked Hancock's and Hobby Lobby locally, and they've got nothing. Guess I need to go up to Surs this weekend before I give up and order something.
I may have found an alternative and really cheap fabric for the undertunic. Someone mentioned a fabric store in Chicago that I had never heard of, so I looked them up to see if they had a site. Sure enough, they do, so I started browsing. They have a 100% rayon fabric that is small white diamonds with circles in them on a black background. If it's too white, I can overdye it with some of the grey dye I have. And it's only $7/yd! I've got a swatch on the way to be sure. If I even think I can get by with it, I'm jumping on it.
Took a deep breath, meditated, prayed to a miscellany of gods, held a small ceremony and sacrificed a blonde, blue-eyed virgin, to overdye my expensive paisley last night (disclaimer: only the deep breath part is true). It came out well. The gold threads really took up the dye, turning them to a muted burgundy (VERY muted, they look very aged). The red threads, well, they pretty much look the same, which gives me two shades of red in it (adds to depth, makes it look old, I like it). With the gold all but gone, it no longer has the orange tint to it from a distance (you could see those threads even through the red that was on top in most places). I think it will be a nice middle ground between the trim and the deep rose velvet.( the process )
Tonight, dyeing the midnight blue habotai and finish the undertunic mockup. This means I have to take my undergown mockup apart (half done already) and figure out how much yardage I'll need dyed. I've decided I'm definitely lining at least the top of the undergown (maybe to about waist), I'll see how two layers look, might wind up with three, I'm not sure yet.
Saturday, unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to work on anything. I spent 2 hours in Dillards trying to find something I'd consider wearing to a cocktail party for less than $100. I came home growling that "I'm making all my clothes from now on," but fortunately found something. Sunday, I spent pretty much all day working out the petal wrap sleeve pattern. I have pics of everything but I haven't pulled them off the camera yet, let alone uploaded them.
Oh, and I got 109 on the movie meme. :]
Edit: Forgot to put what dyes I was using and how much of them. Added that to the process notes. Trying to keep better tabs on things to be able to replicate processes later if need be.
Edit again: Added a remembered note to the dye process, as explained in the comment to Jess.